- freeze-dried food and energy bars (for waking up too late to cook breakfast/emergency hunger at sunset)
- an alarm with built-in sunrise and sunset times, which beeps as you get closer to the deadline
- a clothespin for your nose (for while you cook or have to be around yummy smelling food)
- a prayer book
- extra-strength toothbrush, toothpaste, and mouthwash
- sleeping mask for those daytime naps
- energy drink (for the after-dinner food coma)
- instructional manual with list of best foods to eat during the Fast, how to explain to your friends that Fasting is medically healthy for most people, and activities one can engage in besides eating (sudoku, knitting, origami, cross-stitching, organizing paperclips, etc)
This little idea came out of a conversation I had with a friend about cooking dinner during the Fast.Â It is the last few hours which are the hardest, as you prepare food and anticipate the moment that you will eat and drink again.Â I tend to get more creative during this time…I want to eat really good food!Â In the last few days I have made: homemade spaghetti (none of that canned stuff), burgers, mashed potatoes, pineapple meatballs, scalloped potatoes, Persian rice, and a few other random things that I can’t remember.
The Fast is a spiritual time, but you DO have to keep a sense of humor about it. :-)Â I was going to put a picture of food to illustrate this post, but decided to be kind.Â Also, it is time for my nap.
Sholeh, dear, I have to dispute the clothespin. Have you ever tried putting one of those on your nose? It effing hurts!
I grew up in a different style household, I guess. Eating at restaurants became more frequent at Fast time. We had the places timed almost perfectly to be sitting down to place drink orders a few minutes before sunset.
Sarah: It would be a specially designed clothespin, of course!
Ezra: yeah I’ve done the eating out thing too, but in the last few years it is more of a hassle (cuz of the whole gluten intolerance thing).
Maybe the “nosepin” is just the idea you need to whet your latent entrepreneurial appetite?
Brilliant list. I especially like the line about the energy drink for the after-dinner food coma. It really is a must have. 🙂